Friday 21 February 2014

Quite Contrary

Hello Ladies,

My last post was a bit of a down one.
But this makes up for it big time.

Last year I made a couple of Wraps, one for my bestest and longest
known friend and one for my Niece. I was so pleased with how easy they
were to make and how lovely they looked, I promised I would make one for
myself.
I found a pattern for one I liked a few weeks back called Quite Contrary,
at the blog Cherry Heart by the wonderfully talented Sandra Paul.
I chose a beautiful yarn called Sublime, which is baby
cashmere merino silk in the colour Little Linen.
So, armed with my pattern, yarn and hook, I began.
Sandra has made the pattern so easy to understand and follow.
Not at any time did I wonder if I was following the pattern properly.
The Wrap is made up of 3 different patterns and a border.

So we have Pretty Maids.
All in a row.

Silver Bells.
Cockle Shells
And Mary's Flowers

Each step is described in detail, so you can't go wrong.
My only problem I had was I didn't do a tension/gauge swatch.
I've never done one before and didn't think I needed to bother
this time. But....... I have discovered that whenever I crochet
something it always comes out smaller than the stated size.
I have never made garments apart from Scarfs and Wraps, but even motifs,
always come out quite a bit smaller than they're meant to.
So halfway through the Wrap I felt that it wasn't young to meet
Sandra's measurements and when I measured it came up a good few
inches shorter in length and width.
So I ripped it all apart, used a larger hook, I went for 5mm, made a longer
chain and put in a couple of extra rows on 2 of the patterns.
It has come out wonderfully. It drapes lovely, feels soft, and sits on your shoulders
beautifully.

My photos truly don't do it any justice.
And now I've just bought her latest one called the Ricicles Shawl.
So hopefully I'll be able to start that soon.

Have a good weekend
Sally xxx

9 comments:

  1. Such intricate crochet. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra has some lovely designs doesn't she. Your shawl came out so beautifully and I am sure that you will get lots of wear from it all year round. Lovely!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, your shawl is spectacular. I love it! I find I underestimate size a lot. I often come out with a sweater or shawl that is a bit tight. You are going to love this shawl, perfect for year round.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are so clever - I'm still mastering - all but slowly - granny squares!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely, you've done a wonderful job. I love how it looks in that beautiful pure white too, great choice!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Sally that's stunning so delicate and pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just found your blog. What a lot of lovely crochet! Anna

    ReplyDelete