This is week 4 of my Crochet-A-Long with Chrissie, Marianne and all of you who have joined in too.
My blanket is finally finished :)
I wanted to make my Mum a lap blanket for her birthday. She's quite a hard person to buy for and I thought this would be the ideal gift. I had already seen this block made up into blanket on Annette's blog "My Rose Valley" and it looked beautiful. I used King Coles DK for the colours and they were just the sort of colours my Mum would like. They were already in my yarn stash, though for the life of me I can't remember why I bought them as they are not a colour I would of chose for myself. But they were among the first yarns I bought when I first started crocheting again back in March.The cream is by Sirdar/Hayfield called "DK with wool", this I did buy for the blanket and it's really nice to work with.
Now my Mum has Alzheimers and she does come out with some pretty weird and wonderful ideas. She already has a blanket that she uses but it's quite old and when I went up to see her one day she was stuffing it into a black sack, I thought it was because she wanted it washed, but no it was going out for rubbish. When I asked why, she told me it was because it wasn't a fleece. I haven't the foggiest where she has got this idea from, but if something isn't a fleece it's not warm enough.
For nearly two weeks her carer had to monitor the bins as she kept throwing out cardigans, because they weren't a fleece. I have since bought her a few fleece cardigans as she was having none of it when we tried to tell her, her cardi's would be warm enough.
So I could see this blanket being stuffed into a black sack as it wasn't a fleece, lol. I then decided to back it like a quilt with fleece. I bought some cream fleece and buttons as I thought I could use the buttons to tie the fleece to the blanket as you would a patchwork quilt.
When I started to put the buttons on I realised that it spoilt the look of the motif and I wasn't happy with it at all. So then I decided to still use the tie method but to tie it where the 4 corners joined.
I don't know if you can see it properly but it actually worked out quite well and certainly looks better without the buttons and hopefully it won't be going into a black sack :)
Here is the fleece on the back of the blanket.
For the border I just used a simple shell edging as I thought it matched the flowers.
And finally the complete blanket being shown to you with the help of supervisor Tallulah.
I've enjoyed making this blanket but I'm now excited about starting another project.
Roll on week 5 of CAL
Have a good week everyone, take care.